________________________

[This project has been discontinued due to license compliance issues. Thanks everyone who assisted with your ideas and feedback.]

About

  • What is this? - this was a project dedicated to building an up-to-date collection of great, free portable software for easy installation and use.
  • What's in it? - list of included freeware
Releases
  • v. 1.3 beta - note that this release is over a year old and contains very out-of-date software. I haven't worked out how to solve licensing issues. Download

NEWS

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why?

A little background for why I work on this project:
  1. My own use. I use this archive absolutely every day and love having the functionality of so many programs that gives me enormous flexibility in my job and in my life. Its like having a huge tool belt that fits on a tiny 2 gig SD card.
  2. Popularity. Having worked on so many projects over time, its nice to be responsible for one that has hundreds of users.
  3. Unique. No one else is doing anything like this that I can find. There are many freeware archives out there but none of them are ocused on doing something of this size and depth.
  4. Publicity for small projects. Creators of smaller freeware items might not get a lot of credit but when put into an archive like this, may find new users. Millions of people use Apache everyday but how many people use Color Cop?
  5. Virtualization. Its clear to me that Windows is not the future of computing. By getting developers to put their work into portable archives, they are made easier to virtualize (by projects like WINE) and run in environments other than those belonging to Microsoft.

No comments: