________________________

[This project has been discontinued due to license compliance issues. Thanks everyone who assisted with your ideas and feedback.]

About

  • What is this? - this was a project dedicated to building an up-to-date collection of great, free portable software for easy installation and use.
  • What's in it? - list of included freeware
Releases
  • v. 1.3 beta - note that this release is over a year old and contains very out-of-date software. I haven't worked out how to solve licensing issues. Download

NEWS

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hard NOT to violate GPL

For some reason, many of the people who create this great software for some reason hide their source code.  However, in order to redistribute their software, its required by the GPL that you include the GPL or at least make the GPL available on your own servers.  Since I don't have a server of my own, obviously this means a 2nd torrent with all the source code packaged into it.

Here is where I'm stuck: this process is slow and more than doubles the burden of keeping all my software up to date, which was already a task within itself.  I don't want to violate the GPL, a license that has given me so much.  I don't want to distribute something that doesn't have the whole tool chest inside it.  I already had to take out Firefox and Thunderbird and I'd rather not remove any more.

The search for solutions continues and please do comment if you have ideas.

No comments: